Tuesday 12 July 2011

A Few of Kallisti's Favoutie Quotes from Books


I've just finished reading Persuasion. It was a borrowed book, which wasn't a problem since I had (and still have) no desire to own it. I did, however, have to stop myself numerous times from grabbing a pencil and underlining or bracketing a passage that I found particularly amusing. Yes- I am one of those 'unholy' people who dare to write in books. I mark my favourite parts and write the page numbers in the contents or one of the blank pages at the back (but only ever in pencil).

I have so many favourite quotes from books, I can't keep them between their covers anymore. This is a miniscule selection of some of these. Please, tell me your favourites. I would love to know. I would also like to know how, if you don't write in books, you keep track of all your favourite bits. :)


The Tale of Despereaux, Kate DiCamillo
The world is dark, and light is precious.
Come closer, dear reader.
You must trust me.
I am telling you a story.

I’m in complete love with this story. The words themselves almost literally ooze light and darkness and the themes are so delicately woven and sprinkled through the action. Unfortunately, I can’t type the whole book up- though I highly recommend you go buy a copy. This quote however, the opening words of the book, sums up the tone and magic of the story quite satisfactorily (I’m reluctant to say ‘perfectly’). It also romanticises story-telling, making me wish I possessed that gift.

 The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
Jack: How can you sit there, calmly eating muffins when we are in this horrible trouble, I can’t make out. You seem to me to be perfectly heartless.

Algernon: Well, I can’t eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them.

Jack: I say it’s perfectly heartless your eating muffins at all, under the circumstances.

Algernon: When I am in trouble, eating is the only thing that consoles me… At the present moment I am eating muffins because I am unhappy. Besides, I am particularly fond of muffins. [Rising]

Jack [rising]: Well, there’s no reason why you should eat them all in that greedy way. [Takes muffins from Algernon.]

Algernon [Offering teacake]: I wish you would have teacake instead. I don’t like teacake.

Jack: Good Heavens! I suppose a man may eat his own muffins in his own garden.

Algernon: But you have just said it was perfectly heartless to eat muffins.

Jack: I said it was perfectly heartless of you, under the circumstances. That is a very different thing.

Algernon: That may be. But the muffins are the same. [He seizes the muffin-dish from Jack.]

Jack: Algy, I wish to goodness you would go.

This little part from The Importance of Being Earnest is my very favourite. No one else finds it quite as funny as I do (though I wish they did). It’s such a bizarre situation and a ludicrous, semi-serious argument about the most meaningless thing. The whole emphasis on muffins is ridiculously stupid in a hilarious way. I was overjoyed when the film (starring Colin Firth) portrayed this scene more or less exactly as I pictured it.


Les Misérables, Victor Hugo
In six months, the little girl had become a young woman; that was all. Nothing is more frequent than this phenomenon. There is a moment when girls bloom out in a twinkling, and become roses all at once. Yesterday we left them children, today we find them dangerous.

On the whole, I adore Victor Hugo’s writing and I’m working to the point when I’ll be able to read his books in the original language. Les Misérables is dotted with passages such as the above that are like little bullets to the brain. You double take then sit there pondering by what on Earth it means and if it’s right. Think about the one above: the imagery of the rose contrasting with ‘dangerous’. I still haven’t been able to figure it out.


Misery, Stephen King
Rinse.
 
I’m hoping someone here has read Misery and can agree with me when I say that this single word evolves throughout the story, eventually becoming the most haunting thing you’re ever going to read. I don’t want to say more- I can’t anyway; you have to experience it for yourself. I am aware that Misery isn’t King’s scariest or most suspenseful novel, but for someone who writes, and can’t deal with thrillers, it was horrifying. I read Misery once, and couldn’t even bear having it in my room for a good week after. I still shudder to think about it. Ugh! 


The Princess Bride, William Goldman
 “Has it got any sports in it?”
“Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles.”
“Sounds ok,” I said, and I kind of closed my eyes.

I’ve never read The Princess Bride. In fact, I’d never even heard of it before I read this quote in Inkheart (shock horror- I know). Nevertheless, on the strength of this tiny excerpt alone, I’ve decided most firmly that not only am I going to read it, but I’m going to own a firsthand copy as well. It perfectly captures everything I want in a good adventure story- a gorgeous blend of evil and good, suffering and success, danger and action and human nature. Hats off to Goldman for writing such a succinct and beautiful description: that couldn’t be pulled off by just anyone under any context with that style.

 

Faithfully yours,
Kallisti.

No comments:

Post a Comment