Saturday 20 August 2011

"Frankly My Dear, I Do Give a Damn!"

Ah, the book that hypnotised us and the movie that had us waiting for nearly 4 hours to hear Rhett say that fatal line "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" I remember watching it whilst curled up on the couch; waiting and WAITING for Scarlett to realise that not only was Ashley a fop and a phoney, but that Rhett was the one! Of course, having watched it to the end, I got to cry my eyes out at the unsatisfactory ending.


So much for 'happily ever after'.

But that night, as I tossed and turned(Scarlett-like) I wondered what happened next. Did she win him back? Or did Rhett live out the rest of his miserable life alone? I heard people talk of a second book, but being lazy and forgetful at intervals I never remembered nor found the time to find it and read it.

Until now.

A good friend of mine happened to mention it and on finding that they owned it, I asked whether I could borrow it. Scarlett, by Alexandra Ripley, rekindled that love for the South and all its characters: Mammy, Prissy, India, (not Ashley), Rhett and or course Scarlett as well as a whole group of new characters. I loved the feel of the book - the way it seamlessly linked with the past and I hardly noticed that it was written by a different author!


Scarlett (no I am NOT going to spoil it for you!) is set precisely after Melly's death - and Scarlett is determined to win Rhett back. Ashley is no longer an option and Scarlett realises now what she never knew she had. 

But is it Scarlett's turn to wait for the man she loves? As the longing becomes hard to bear, will Scarlett ever manage to show Rhett just how much she loves him? Or is she always doomed to be in love with a man that's not hers?

Great book, though there was a few times when I wished that someone would come along and kill Anne Hampton...and if you read it you'll know why. All I can say is that she got what she deserved.

The lesson learnt? That not all great series' have to be written by the same author to be really good. I was pleasantly surprised with 'Scarlett' and I think Alexandra Ripley did a wonderful job, for someone who thought to step into the shoes of Margaret Mitchell. 

So question for all those who liked Gone with the Wind: What was your favourite line, who said it and why is it so memorable? Mine is when Scarlett throws the porcelain statue thing at the wall and Rhett jumps out from behind the lounge, saying "Has the war started yet?!" BEST LINE EVER!

Happy Reading, everyone!
Cool Beans 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment